Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Was that the worst C's game in four years?


Well, my Celtics lost to the lowly Houston Rockets 108-102 last night, despite my predictions of a huge spread busting win. It's a good thing I'm not a betting man.

After the game, Doc Rivers came out and bashed the heck out of the players. Words like "lack of urgency," "this year is not like last year," and "if you don't have home court in the playoffs, you could go home" were flying out. And then, he said it. Rivers said, "I told the guys I thought overall it was probably our worst defensive effort in three, four years as far as overall effort." You know how much I love exploring the veracity of comments in the realm of sport.

The Rockets shocked me. They shot 53% from the field, picked up more rebounds than us (+7), and just flat out beat us. But, was it the worst defensive or overall game in the last three to four years? That's a bold statement.

I only have to drift back to December 29, 2010 against the pathetic Detroit Pistons (12-25), where we lost 92-104. Tracy McGrady put up 21 on us for Pete's sake. The Pistons shot 56% from the field, outrebounded us (+1), and created 20% more turnovers with their defense (14-21). Just like that, we've found a worse overall game. Not 3-4 years back, not a season ago, but about 14 days ago. Man, Doc Rivers must have a short memory.

Wednesday, the Celtics meet up with the Sacramento Kings, and we have another chance to put out the worst performance since...well, since yesterday.

At least we're better than our bitter rivals from Buffalo/San Diego/Los Angeles. 

-- Sent from my Palm Prē

No comments: